Friday, May 24, 2013

Pippi


  My niece turned five this week. She's a sparkly, energetic little girl who loves Pippi Longstockings. Like Pippi, she wears mismatching socks and sleeps upside down. And like Pippi, she has an unconventional style, layering her clothes and creating the most wonderful combinations. So I guess she will like the Pippi-worthy outfit I made for her: a colorful pinafore, bubble shorts and crazy leggings. 
The top is the Roly Poly pinafore from Imagine Gnats. I really liked the pattern. It's very easy to sew and the result is great. One side is made of colorful striped fabric with lines of stitches. The other side is made with rusty orange baby rib corduroy. Instead of the side pockets described by the pattern, I sewed two bold pockets on this side, just like Pippi has. Four differently colored buttons complete the look. Because the tunic is so colorful, it can be combined well with lots of different shirts, shorts and leggings.  




The shorts are the Bubble Pocket Shorts from Elegance and Elephants. I loved these shorts from the first time I saw them, and was glad to finally have the chance to sew a pair. The pattern is great. Like the pinafore, it's easy and rewarding to sew. 

For the waistband facing, I used some leftover fabric from the pinafore. Love this detail.

Then, the crazy leggings. Although the weather is actually still quite suitable for stockings, summer is supposed to arrive soon, and I figured that leggings would be more convenient then. The leggings are made from two t shirts and some pink scraps. They're completely crazy, but very Pippi-worthy. 

Linking to:
125

11 comments:

  1. This is such a fun outfit!! Love the colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi. I loved sewing the bubble shorts. I'm definitely going to make more of them.

      Delete
  2. what a great outfit!! that striped fabric is fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I loved using your pattern for this outfit.

      Delete
  3. AWESOME!! No seriously, everything is just perfect. All you need to do is sing "life is a breeze, we live it for fun. No apologies, to anyone!" and it will be beyond perfect. My little lady and I are Pippi lovers as well. <3 (was it not obvious? lol!)

    Mae

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy, great that you like my site so much. I've added a Follow My Blog feature at the right of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you captured the essence of your niece's personality in this outfit! WELL DONE! *And, we've been eyeing that rolypoly top since it was released....what a cute, cute pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute and such great colors. I loved Pippi as a kid. It's probably time to introduce her to Wub.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!
    Do you sell these items (pippi clothes)?
    I would love buying such a costume for my doughter!
    Thanks!
    irochell@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your answer!
      I sent you an e-mail a week ago.
      How can I buy the patterns?
      My daughter is a special girl, with special needs. I understand you don't sell your work (it's SO beautiful...) but I will be very thankful and I can pay what ever is needed for her. I honestly appreciate any assistance you can give me, Thank you!
      Yifat

      Delete